Hockley Church History
Hockley Church building in Hockley Village dates from 1887, being
a Methodist Church during that period. The church building, however,
had its origins as a Primitive Methodist Church built in 1869. It
was located at the southwest corner of Lot 18, West Concession 7
on the east side of the 6th Line Mono Township (now Airport Road).
This church was included in the Rosemont circuit.
The church would have been active from 1869 to 1884 when all the
different Methodist church organizations combined under a single
Methodist banner, resulting in the decision to close some churches
and combining others. The 6th Line church was one of those closed
in 1884 and remained unused until 1887 when it was moved to Hockley
Village by the combined Methodists of the Hockley area community.
A witness to the moving of the Methodist church building in 1887
was a girl of 12 years, Mrs. John Beatty, who was a long time village
resident. She died in 1976 at the age of 101 years. She recollected
the 6th Line church being sawn into four parts in the winter of
1887, and loaded onto wooden snow sleds and pulled to the Hockley
village site where the building was reassembled onto a new prepared
The church was a United Church from 1925 until early 2018 when it
was gifted to the Hockley community by the United Church of Canada.
by the late Jack Brooksbank.
by the Hockley Loyal Orange Lodge in 1894, it was used until
1972 when the hall was deeded to the Hockley & District
Senior Citizens Club in 1976. An active club in the 1970's,
1980's and early 1990's, it has continued to be used as
a community gathering and meeting place ever since. Many
remember regular dances being held "back in the day".
The building was gifted to the community by the Hockley
& District Senior Citizens Club in early 2018.
was provided by the late Jack Brooksbank
Loyal Orange Lodge No. 465, (Hockley, Simcoe South, Mono)
was incorporated in 1891. Archival records indicate that
previous to this incorporation of the amalgamated areas,
the original Hockley Lodge warrant was issued in 1853 to
Roland Buchanan. It was situated on the Pendleton property
and the meeting house was the old log stable.
Excerpt from the book Adjala by McDevitt
& Munnoch published in 1993.
artwork at left is the creation of Jack Brooksbank
above image from
the book, "Adjala" by McDevitt and Munnoch